FORTRESSES OF DUBROVNIK
St. John's Fortress protects the seaward side of the old harbour of Dubrovnik. It is a bulky B shaped fortification and is integral with the Walls system.
A smaller fortress, replaced by the Revelin Fortress, was constructed opposite and a chain was slung between them to be raised across the harbour frontage in times of trouble.
The Fortress is an amalgam of several earlier buildings. The first was the 1346 "Mule Fortress", this was followed by the Gunduliceva Fortress. The two were merged in 1552 and by 1557 had become St. John's Fortress.
St. John's is one of the two entrances to the City Walls (the other is at the Pile Gate) and as such is frequently one of the first parts of the fortifications that people see. It offers some lovely views of the island of Lokrum out in the bay. St. John's also houses the Dubrovnik Maritime Museum and a rather lacklustre Aquarium.
Back to Castles of Croatia
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller