As one of the most famous Castles in Scotland, Inveraray came as something of a disappointment. Not only does nothing at all remain of the medieval Castle of the Campbells, but what replaced it is only partially open to the public.
The original was visited by James V and Mary, Queen of Scots and was burnt by the Marquis of Montroe in 1644 after being the powerbase of the Campbells for two centuries. This ruin was demolished in the 19th century. The present Castle was started in 1743, originally incorporating the old Castle, but eventually replacing it completely.
The Castle is supposedly haunted by a ghostly harper, one of the victims of the attack by the Marquis of Montrose in 1644.
The Castle is open during the summer months.
Back to Castles of Scotland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller