PORT ROYAL CASTLE, LOKRUM
A star-shaped Castle was built on the highest point of the Island of Lokrum during the Napoleonic Wars by the French (who were a long way from home) presumably to control the passageway between the City of Dubrovnik and the Island. This was in the 1830s.
The whole Island was bought by the Archduke Maximillian Habsburg in 1859. The Austrians built a circular tower (pictured above) in the centre of the French fortress which is generally dubbed "Maximillian's Tower", even though he didn't actually have it built.
The Fortress fell into disrepair and today the only part in anything like a good condition is the Austrian Tower which can still be climbed for panoramic views of the Island and of Dubrovnik across on the mainland.
Back to Castles of Croatia
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller