FORTRESSES OF DUBROVNIK
The Revelin Fortress was the last part of the City Wall system to be added.
The old harbour was considered to be at risk during a period of Venetian expansion in 1583 and all other building work in Dubrovnik was banned whilst the Fortress was constructed. Noblemen were forced to have their servants work on the construction or be fined. It was built on the site of a smaller, older fortification which was formerly linked to St. John's Fortress by a chain which could be raised in times of danger.
By 1594 the Fortress was completed and linked to the Ploe Gate by a bridge. The relatively recent construction of the Fortress meant it was least affected by the 1667 earthquake.
Today it is the only one of the fortresses which is inaccessible to the general public.
Back to Castles of Croatia
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller