Ross Castle is often, wrongly, referred to as "Killarney Castle". It is merely the closest Castle to Killarney Town, standing as it does next to Muckross House, one of the major tourist draws of the spectacular Ring of Kerry. Ross Castle was here long before Killarney was anything more than a few houses!
The Castle stands on a small isthmus jutting out into Lough Leane and was constructed in the 16th Century in typical Irish tower-house style (note the stepped crenellations, as opposed to English crenellations which are usually level). The tower is five storeys high and offers some lovely views of the Lough and the surrounding mountains.
The Castle was captured by the English in 1652 by attacking the Castle from the Lough, its most vulnerable side. It was the last Castle under Irish control to be taken by Cromwell's forces.
Guided tours of the Castle operate throughout the summer months and it is one of the most familiar of all Irish Castles due to its position slap-bang in the heart of the tourist route.
Back to Castles of Ireland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller