This rather odd-looking building stands at the centre of the harbour of the same name on the largest of the Elaphati Islands, Šipan.
In fact it is a fortified manor house built originally by the Skočibuha family, a local family of merchants, in 1539. A tower was added by Vice Skočibuha in 1577. A second later unfortified tower was added to match it some years later, giving the Castle it's slightly bizarre appearance today.
Unfortunately the Castle is a private residence, but the pretty little harbour village is one of the jewels of this part of the Adriatic and a trip to the Island is recommended.
Back to Castles of Croatia
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller