ALDERSHOT CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL
Full Dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Michael and St. George
Became a Cathedral in 1908
Very much a forgotten Cathedral, the Cathedral of St. Michael and St. George serves as the Catholic Cathedral for the Bishopric of the Forces - and stands appropriately amongst the barracks and buildings of Aldershot's massive series of army bases.
The Church was originally built for the Anglicans of the Army and was designed by military engineers in 1892. Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone. However, it never served as an Anglican Church, but instead was adopted by the Roman Catholic Church and became the Cathedra for the Bishop of the Forces (the Anglicans appoint a Bishop for the Forces who has no specific Cathedra).
Known locally, for obvious reasons, as "the red church" the Cathedral is impressively tall and thin and clearly a product of the great Victorian Catholic revival period. The interior is often inaccessible, but is sometimes the venue for concerts.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller