ST. ANNE'S CHURCH, KRAKÓW
The first mention of St. Annes Church was in 1381. However, this church was destroyed by fire in 1407 and rebuilt the same year under the orders of King Waldyslaw II Jagiello. At the same time the King attached the church to the Jagiellonian University, an association it still maintains today.
In 1428 the church was enlarged, but by 1689 it was proving too small to deal with the number of pilgrims visiting the relics of St John Cantius (who still resides in the church today) and so it was demolished and rebuilt in Baroque style, the rebuild being completed by around 1705.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller