Full dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Mary the Virgin
Became a Cathedral in 1926
An early place of worship, there is little of any age here. The bulk of the church was built by John Palmer in the early 1800s. This fairly standard Victorian church was elevated to Cathedral status in 1926 to reflect the massive boost in the population of southern Lancashire in the late 19th Century. More space was made inside the Cathedral in 1964 when the galleries were removed which gives the interior a feeling of space and lightness which is not the normal for dour Victorian brickwork churches of the period.
The spike on the central lantern was added in 1967 and contains inside it a "time capsule" from the date of its erection.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller