BUNGAY PRIORY CHURCH

Suffolk

Bungay Church, Suffolk

Benedictine Friars

Directly across the road from Bungay Castle is the bulk of St. Mary’s Church. It was constructed quite late for such a church, in the 15th Century, when it was the church for a Benedictine Priory. Although only a small Priory the church possesses a particularly grand tower which can be seen for miles.

Alas, the timing was not good, and it wasn’t very many years before Henry VIII Dissolved the Monasteries and Bungay’s short-lived Priory was one of the earlier ones to go. There are some remnants of the non-church buildings in the churchyard, but mostly it was only the church which survived as Parish Church for the village.

A terrible fire swept through Bungay in 1688 which destroyed much of the town and gutted the interior of the church, so most of what is inside is Georgian or Victorian.

Photo - Andrew J. Müller

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc...

Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page


© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller
2010


Go to Home PagespaceGo to Andrew J. MullerspaceGo to Roy BartonspaceGo to Shaun RunhamspaceGo to Writing
Go to Castles of the UK and IrelandspaceGo to Castles of EuropespaceGo to Churches, Cathedrals, Abbeys etc.spaceGo to Travel PagesspaceGo to The Gallery