IGREJA DO CARMO
In 1389 a Carmelite Convent was founded here on the orders of Nuno Alvares Pereira, Constable of Portugal. The Carmelites moved in in 1392. In 1404 Alvares Pereira donated all his wealth to the convent and in 1423 he became a brother of the convent.
The church was a superb example of Gothic architecture and stands high over the Rossio Square opposite Castle Hill and is one of Lisbons most prominent landmarks.
On November 1, 1755 a huge earthquake shook Lisbon. Known as The Great Earthquake it destroyed much of the city including the Carmelite Convent. The library and all of its 5,000 books were lost. After the earthquake the conventional buildings were used as a military headquarters, but the church was never fully rebuilt. In 1864 it was donated to the Association of Portuguese Archaeologists who turned it into a Museum.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
Jacqui Harris, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller