ALL SAINTS' CHAPEL
London Colney, Hertfordshire
All Saints’ Pastoral Centre was begun in 1899 and finished in 1901 as a convent for the All Saints’ Sisterhood. The designer was Leonard Stokes. This was by and large what is today the quadrangle and associated rooms on the ground floor.
In the early 1920s a decision was made to construct a very large Chapel on the side of the building and it is this which dominates today. The Architect was the renowned Sir Ninian Comper (hence it is known as “the Comper Chapel”) and the ambitious design was completed in two halves. The first, purely Comper’s work, was finished in 1927. The second half was completed by his son, Sebastian, in 1963.
Chapel is very reminiscent of
King’s College Chapel in
In 2011 it was announced that it was to be sold to property developers thus ending over 100 years’ of public accessibility to the site.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller