Costa Blanca, Spain
This Baroque church was built between 1740 and 1753, probably to designs by Jose Sierra. A church had stood here since the Reconquista, but that was probably a temporary structure.
During the Spanish Civil War the church was looted and gutted by fire. In the 1960s it was shortened and the cupola and transept were removed and then what remained was reopened to serve Guadalest. More renovation followed in the 1990s to keep the church in one piece and functional.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Jacqui Harris
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller