ST. JOSEPH'S CHURCH
Le Havre, France
Le Havre was flattened in World War II and when reconstruction was begun in the 1950s it was decided that the town needed a large church to act as a memorial to the 5,000 civilians who lost their lives in the municipality.
Work began in 1951 to plans by Auguste Perret. It was completed by 1958 and is most notable for its 107 metre tall tower which stands like a lighthouse in the centre of Le Havres port quarter and can be seen for many miles out to see particularly when lit of an evening.
Although it is not central in the town, St. Josephs Church is the most dominant building today and can be seen from all over the town centre.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
Jacqui Harris, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller