HEMINGFORD ABBOTS CHURCH
The land here, like so much of Huntingdonshire, was owned by Ramsey Abbey. King Edgar granted the charter for the first church to be built at Hemingford Abbots in 974. The first stone building followed in 1190 and two columns and one bit of wall survive from this original stone church.
The main parts of the current church date to the late 1300s, with the spire and interior wall paintings following early in the 1400s. The roof of the nave was heightened a hundred years or so after that.
In 1806 the church lands in the parish were consolidated and the Old Rectory nearby dates from 1814. Repairs were undertaken to the church in the 1820s and then again in the 1870s, much of the chancel today dates from 1913.The Lych Gate entrance to the churchyard was built here in 1974 to mark the millennium of the church. Originally it was found in a derelict state at Tick Farm near Warboys and the local church at Warboys had the Gate re-erected here.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller