ST. KATHERINE'S CHURCH, KAZIMIERZ
Founded for the Augustinians in 1363 by Kazimierz the Great the church seemed to suffer unduly from natural disasters. In the 15th Century it was flooded and in the 18th an earthquake caused a lot of damage. Even more damage was inflicted by Austrians during the Austro-Hungarian rule of Kraków.
It is today considered one of the finest examples of pure Gothic architecture in Poland with a chancel dating to 1378 and the main basilica to around 1400. The walls which surround the gardens are remnants of the town walls of Kazimierz.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller