SULTAN MEHMET FATIH MOSQUE
Priština’s largest and most important mosque, also called the Mbretit Mosque, dates to 1461 and was built on the orders of Sultan Mehmet II – known as al-Fatih (the Conqueror). In 1682-83 the Mosque was restored by Sultan Mehmet IV and the minaret had to be rebuilt after an earthquake in 1955.
Today the Mosque is suffering from the same malady that affects all of Kosovo’s ancient buildings – neglect and lack of funds.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller