ST. MARY'S CHURCH
Although historically ancient, St. Mary’s Church in Lichfield City Centre is the fourth version of the church to stand on this spot.
The first was built around 1150, but is first
reports of the fire which destroyed most of
The church register dates to 1566 and includes the
of Samuel Johnson,
The spire seems to have been very badly built as it fell down in 1594, then again in 1626. Repairs took place after that but it fell again in 1716. This time the decision was made to rebuild the church entirely and Francis Smith was employed as architect. The new church was finished in 1721 and would have been observed by Samuel Johnson whose family home faces the church. The medieval tower was retained, but no spire was added this time.
It seems that the rebuild was done poorly once more as extensive repairs were undertaken in 1806 and again in 1820 before the church was demolished once more in 1868, leaving only the lowered tower. It took just two years to build the new church which once more had been given a spire, albeit a lower chunkier Gothic Revival version.
As the 20th Century progressed it
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller