CONVENT ON MARGIT ISLAND
Margaret (Margit) Island, in the Danube in Budapest, was a centre for a number of different religious orders from the 12th and 13th Centuries onwards.
First to arrive were the Knights of St. John. They were followed by Premonstratensians, Augustinians, Franciscans and Dominicans. The ruins of most of these churches stand today in public parkland. The picture above is from the Dominican Nunnery.
The various orders stayed here until the 16th Century when the Ottomans arrived and all the nuns and monks fled. The buildings were then destroyed. In the 18th Century the whole island was set aside as a resort for the Habsburgs. However, in 1908, the land was opened up as a public park.
The various ruins were renovated and also opened to the public.
Photo - Roy Barton
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Roy Barton and Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller