Full dedication: Cathedral Church of St. Woolos
Became a Cathedral in 1949
For many centuries this little church was merely the parish church for Newport town. According to legend Gwynllyw, or St. Woolos, was converted to Christianity on this spot in the 6th Century. He then had a wooden church built. The Cathedral as it stands today is mostly Norman with a tower dating to the 15th Century. It has the largest peal of bells in Wales (13).
Sadly when Andrew visited the Cathedral it was locked to visitors, a sorry state indeed.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller