PAULINE CHURCH, KAZIMIERZ
Also called the Skalka church the Church on the Rock this church has been in the possession of the Pauline Fathers since 1472. The Rock upon which the church stands was the place where the Bishop of Kraków, Stanislaus of Szczepanow was killed on the orders of Boleslaw II the Bold in 1079. The King was sent into exile and the Bishop was later canonised.
So from that time the Rock became an important Christian centre. The earliest church was demolished by Casimir III who had a Gothic church built in its place and it became a shrine to Saint Stanislaus. In 1472 the City granted the church to the Pauline Order and they own it to this day. In the early 18th Century the church was renovated in the Baroque style which dominates Krakóws many churches.
The crypt, which is oddly open to the air at one end, is the burial place for many important Poles, particularly those associated with Kraków.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller