ST. RADEGUND'S ABBEY
One of the more obscure Abbeys of southern England, St. Radegund's stands amidst remote farmland between Dover and Folkestone, high on the Downs.
The Abbey was founded in 1192, and the place is as remote today as it was then. It seems that the Abbey kept itself to itself for most of its life, the Premonstratensians keeping true to the monastic tenets of isolation and simplicity.
After the Dissolution the Abbey was sold to one Simon Edulph who converted the Refectory into a house and the church tower into a gatehouse which dominates the ruins today. As time passed the Abbey ruins became more and more overgrown whilst the house became less and less like the Refectory.
Today the Abbey stands at the end of a farm track, which fortunately is a public footpath, although many of the buildings are hidden behind the gatehouse and hedges.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller