RED MOUNT CHAPEL
King's Lynn, Norfolk
The Red Mount upon which the chapel stands is, in fact, an early motte castle from the 11th Century. The Chapel came long after the castle was nothing but an earthwork. It was built in 1485 as a wayside chapel for pilgrims heading for Walsingham. It is octagonal and originally had two storeys. Today it has three, the third stone storey being added about a hundred years after the original two.
It is unclear when it ceased to have any function, and how it managed to survive so close to the town centre is a mystery. Even more so today when the outside is in continuous danger of vandalism and the interior is always closed to visitors.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller