There has been a Cathedral on this site in the centre of Segovia for many centuries. The town was founded by the Romans and it is possible the first church was constructed during this period.
However, what stands today dates almost entirely to a brief flurry of reconstruction during the 1520s. The previous structure was badly damaged during the Revolt of the Comuneros and so Juan Gil de Hontañón and his son, Rodrigo, were employed to rebuild the Cathedral.
Almost all was completed by 1527. The 90 metre bell tower had a spire added in 1614 after a thunderstorm destroyed the previous one the original one, built of American mahogany had been Spains tallest spire prior to its destruction.
The last work was the addition of the Dome around 1630, the work of Pedro de Brizuela.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller