BISHOP'S STORTFORD CHURCH
Although Bishop’s Stortford as a town has not kept its history particularly well, it is still dominated by the 56 metre high spire of St. Michael’s Church which stands at the highest point in the town.
The first Church here was thought to be a Saxon one, and it was followed by a Norman one. Since even before the Conquest the parish was associated with the Bishops of London (hence the name of the town) and the living of the Church was still owned by St. Paul’s Cathedral until well into the 19th Century.
The only ancient thing remaining at the church is the font, the bulk of the rest of the church dates to the early 15th Century with significant enlargements and changes in both the 17th and 19th Centuries. The brick part of the tower and the spire finished off the Church in 1812.Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller