CHAPEL OF THE HOLY TRINITY
St. Petersburg, Russia
The first church of Holy Trinity was founded by Peter the Great in 1703, designed by Domenico Trezzini – who was responsible for much of early St. Petersburg – and consecrated in 1711. It was only ever built of wood and when first built it was consecrated as a Cathedral. It was here that Peter the Great was made Emperor of Russia.
This wooden church survived until 1750 when, like so many wooden buildings in St. Petersburg, it managed to burn down in spite of the swampy surroundings! By 1756 a stone church had replaced it which was rebuilt in the early 1800s and then destroyed completed after the Russian Revolution. The year of its destruction was 1933.
The spot remained empty until after the fall of the USSR and new Chapel was built after a competition. The reconstruction was only a Chapel, rather than Church, but it is built in memory of the first Orthodox Church of St. Petersburg.
The Chapel was consecrated in 2003 on the 300th anniversary of the founding of St. Petersburg.Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J.
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. and Jacqui Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller