ST. MARTIN'S CHURCH, WARSAW
The Augustinians established a church here in 1353. This was most likely wooden and not rebuilt in stone until the mid-1500s.
In the 17th Century a fire destroyed the original and the building was restructured in Baroque style by Italian architect Giovanni Spinola. The rebuild was so complete that the entrance was moved from one street to another and the orientation of the Church entirely altered.
All of this was swept away by Karol Bay's 1744 rococo revision of the church, giving it today's yellow candy appearance. Wonderful interiors were added in 1751 but these were utterly destroyed by the Germans following the Warsaw Uprising and have been replaced by modern interiors since.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller