The Castle at Clare existed by 1090 when it was part of the land granted to Richard FitzGilbert. His descendants took on the name de Clare and became Earls of Hertford and Gloucester, also becoming accomplished soldiers.
The Castle took the form of a very high motte crowned by a rather thin walled shell keep; a couple of small chunks of which are the chief stone remains of the Castle today.
The last of the de Clare's fell at Bannockburn in 1314 and the Castle was abandoned thereafter.
It stands in a large public park and is accessible at all times.
Back to Castles of Suffolk Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions, Andrew J. Müller and
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller and Roy Barton
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller