Not a vast amount remains of the Castle of the Kennedy Clan built here initially in the 13th century as a keep, with the addition of a hall around the mid-1400s.
The Kennedys were a powerful family, one of their number married the daughter of Robert III and another was Bishop of St. Andrews and founder of St. Salvator's College there.
In 1570 the Kennedy Earl of Cassillis invented an interesting new method of persuasion at Dunure when he roasted the unfortunate Allan Stewart of Crossraguel Abbey in sop (a gruel for dipping bread in) until he signed away the Abbey's lands. Another of the family, Kennedy of Bargany (an enemy of his kinsman) heard of this and stormed the Castle to rescue Stewart.
By 1696 the Castle was no longer in use and is in a very poor state today. It is on public land and accessible at all times.
Back to Castles of Scotland Page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller