ST. JAMES' CHURCH
Stanstead Abbotts, Hertfordshire
The nave of St. James’ Church dates to the late 12th Century, the chancel was added early in the 13th. The tower and porch followed in the 15th Century and the last major addition, the northeast chapel in 1577. The Hertfordshire Spike is of uncertain date, but is probably 17th Century.
The church interior is largely 18th Century and has been largely unrestored because when the new Church of St. Andrew was built at the other end of Stanstead Abbotts in 1881 the old church was largely abandoned. It has, however, been kept in good condition and is one of Hertfordshire’s better known churches.
Today it is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and
Andrew J. Müller,
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller