OUR LADY OF VICTORIES CHURCH
This church was the first building started by the Knights of St. John after they took control of Malta. Originally it was a small chapel built after the Great Siege of 1565 and is dedicated to Our Lady of Victories to mark the victory over the invading Turks.
Works began in 1567, with the bulk of the work dating to 1573-78. It was the first church of Malta until St. Johns Co-Cathedral was built in 1577.
It is one of the first buildings which presents itself when you enter Valletta from the bus station (which is where the majority of people arrive) and has a much more prominent position than St. Johns which rapidly superseded it as the most important church in the capital.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
Jacqui Harris, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller