ST. JOHN'S CO-CATHEDRAL
Originally just the Church of St. John it was built by the Knights of St. John between 1573 and 1538. It had been decided, by Grand Master Jean de la Cassière, that the Church of Our Lady of Victories would not be large enough to be the conventual church for the Grand Order. Something to rival Mdina Cathedral was required.
It remained merely the main church of Valletta until 1820 when it became Co-Cathedral with the Cathedral in Mdina.
The interior of the Cathedral is amongst the most extravagant in Malta every surface seems to be decorated, including the floor which is famously tiled with marble artworks. It is also home to two Caravaggio paintings.
Photo - Andrew J. Müller
Back to Cathedrals, Churches, Abbeys etc... page
© Text copyright - Raving Loony Productions and Andrew J. Müller,
Jacqui Harris, Roy Barton
and Shaun Runham
© Photos and Artwork - Andrew J. Müller
© Web Design and Layout - Andrew J. Müller